Israel to seize parts of Gaza as military operation expands
Defense Minister Israel Katz says evacuations would occur in combat zones, urging Gazans to oust Hamas and free hostages

A Palestinian woman reacts as she stands at a window, near the site of an Israeli strike on a house, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip April 2, 2025.
Reuters
Gaza Health Ministry says 53 killed in Israeli strikes
Operation could expand area seized as part of buffer zone
Israel encouraged by signs of protest against HamasIsrael announced a major expansion of military operations in Gaza on Wednesday, saying large areas of the enclave would be seized and added to its security zones, accompanied by large-scale evacuations of the population.
In a statement, Defense Minister Israel Katz said evacuations would take place from areas where there was fighting, while urging Gazans to eliminate Hamas and return Israeli hostages as the only way to end the war.
He said the operation would clear out militants and infrastructure "and seize large areas that will be added to the security zones of the State of Israel".
The Israeli military had already issued evacuation warnings to Gazans living in some southern districts and Palestinian radio reported that the area around Rafah was almost completely empty following the evacuation orders.
Gaza's Health Ministry said 53 people were killed in Israeli strikes on Wednesday, with 19 people including children killed in a strike at a U.N. clinic being used to house displaced people.
Israel's military said it had struck a building previously used as a clinic that it said was serving as a Hamas command and control center to plan attacks, and that the military had used surveillance to mitigate the risk to civilians. Hamas denied using the building and called the Israeli accusation it did so a "blatant fabrication".
Reuters video of the aftermath of the strike showed blood on a floor as rescue workers removed bodies on stretchers.
At the site of another strike in Khan Younis, Rida al-Jabbour held up a tiny shoe and pointed at a blood-spattered wall as she related how a neighbor had been killed along with her three-month-old baby.
"From the moment the strike occurred we have not been able to sit or sleep or anything," she said, describing how rescue workers were unable to separate the remains of those killed.
Buffer zone
Katz's statement did not make clear how much land Israel intended to seize or whether the move represented a permanent annexation of territory, which would add further pressure on a population already living in one of the most crowded areas in the world.
According to the Israeli rights group Gisha, Israel has already taken control of some 62 square kilometers or around 17% of the total area of Gaza, as part of a buffer zone around the edges of the enclave.
At the same time, Israeli leaders have said they plan to facilitate voluntary departure of Palestinians from the enclave, after U.S. President Donald Trump called for it to be permanently evacuated and redeveloped as a coastal resort under U.S. control.
A boy looks at a damaged wall as Palestinians inspect the site of an Israeli airstrike on an UNRWA-run clinic where displaced people shelter, in Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip April 2, 2025.Reuters
Katz's remarks came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated calls for Hamas to disarm and said the application of military pressure was the best way to get back the remaining 59 hostages.
"It seems like Netanyahu will not stop his war on Gaza until we are displaced. But despite the extermination happening to us and the extreme anguish - as a citizen I was displaced eight times - with God's will we will remain steadfast," said Amer al-Farra, a Palestinian in Gaza.
Israeli leaders have been encouraged by signs of protest in Gaza against Hamas, the armed group which has controlled the enclave since 2007, and the expanded operation appeared at least partly aimed at increasing civilian pressure on its leaders.
"I call on the residents of Gaza to act now to eliminate Hamas and return all the kidnapped," Katz said in his statement. "This is the only way to end the war."
War expands
Israel resumed airstrikes on Gaza last month and sent ground troops back in, after two months of relative calm following the conclusion of a U.S.-backed truce to allow the exchange of hostages held by Hamas for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.
Hundreds of Palestinians have been killed since the resumption of the strikes and Israel has also cut off aid to the enclave, saying much of it was taken by Hamas.
Efforts led by Qatari and Egyptian mediators to get talks aimed at ending the war back on track have so far failed to make progress and the military's return to Gaza has fueled protests in Israel by families and supporters of some of the hostages.
A crying Palestinian girl stands over the debris of a house hit by an Israeli strike in the south Gaza city of Khan Yunis on Wednesday.
AFP
As the operation in Gaza has escalated, Israel has also hit targets in southern Lebanon and Syria, with a strike on a Hezbollah commander in the southern suburbs of Beirut on Tuesday that further strained fraying ceasefire agreements which largely halted fighting in January.
Israel invaded Gaza following the devastating attack on southern Israel by thousands of Hamas-led gunmen that killed 1,200 people according to Israeli tallies, and saw 251 taken as hostages.
The Israeli campaign has killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian health officials, and ravaged the Gaza Strip, forcing almost the entire population of 2.3 million from their homes.Popular
Spotlight
More from World
Trump tariffs draw global promises of counter measures
Governments around the world pledge counter measures on the US after President Trump unveils a new baseline 10% tariff on goods from all countries
Comments
See what people are discussing