Accused denies all charges in Sana Yousaf murder case as Islamabad court nears verdict
Umer Hayat told an Islamabad court the Sana Yousaf murder case was fabricated by investigators, rejecting all evidence as planted. A verdict could come this week
Ali Hamza
Correspondent
Ali; a journalist with 3 years of experience, working in Newspaper. Worked in Field, covered Big Legal Constitutional and Political Events in Pakistan since 2022. Graduate of DePaul University, Chicago.

Sana Yousaf was shot dead inside her home in Islamabad on June 2, 2025.
An Islamabad court recorded on Monday the final statement of Umer Hayat in the murder case of social media creator Sana Yousaf, who was shot dead in the Pakistani capital on June 2, 2025.
The court adjourned until Tuesday for final arguments, after which a verdict is expected.
What did Umer Hayat say in his final statement?
Hayat denied all charges against him, telling the court the case was fabricated by investigators under public and political pressure.
He rejected every piece of evidence submitted by police and claimed the identification process was compromised because witnesses had seen him before the formal parade.
Why did Hayat say the identification parade was invalid?
Hayat alleged that investigators circulated his photographs on social media and showed him to Sana Yousaf's family before the formal identification parade took place.
He argued this made the identification process meaningless, as witnesses had already seen him before being asked to formally identify him. Police arrested him from Jaranwala on June 3, 2025, a day after the killing.
What evidence did Hayat reject in the Sana Yousaf murder case?
Hayat dismissed all physical and forensic evidence submitted by investigators, including a pistol, mobile phone, fingerprints, vehicle documents and forensic material.
He described the evidence as "fake and fictitious" and alleged it was planted by the investigating officer. He also claimed the investigation was driven by pressure to close a high-profile case.
He denied ever visiting Yousaf's home in Islamabad's G-13 sector and said he had no relationship with her or plans to meet her. He further stated that no CCTV footage or independent evidence placed him at the crime scene.
He also alleged that police forced him to sign blank papers and provide thumb impressions under duress.
Hayat accused investigators of pressuring him to confess and of manipulating forensic and postmortem evidence. Throughout the proceedings, he said he had "no confidence" in the investigation, the prosecution or the court process. His statement was recorded under Section 342 of Pakistan's Code of Criminal Procedure, a standard procedural step before a verdict is announced.
What does the prosecution's case say?
Sana Yousaf, who had hundreds of thousands of followers on TikTok and Instagram, was shot twice in the chest inside her home.
The autopsy report found that the bullets damaged her right lung and heart, causing death within two to three minutes. Her killing triggered widespread outrage across Pakistan and prompted a swift investigation.
According to investigators, fingerprints belonging to Hayat were recovered from a mirror in Yousaf's bedroom. Phone data also confirmed his presence in Islamabad on the day of the killing, according to police.
The 30-bore pistol used in the shooting was recovered from a railway track, where investigators say Hayat discarded it after the attack.
Police recovered one of Yousaf's mobile phones from the crime scene and another from Hayat's residence.
Investigators submitted a blood-stained carpet, bullet casings and digital records as evidence. Forensic verification was carried out through Pakistan's national database authority.







Comments
See what people are discussing