Blast at Kabul school injures 42 children: UN
Kabul school blast injured at least 42 children, the UN said, as officials investigate whether a grenade or unexploded ordnance caused the explosion.
News Desk
The News Desk provides timely and factual coverage of national and international events, with an emphasis on accuracy and clarity.
A blast at an education center in Kabul injured at least 42 children on Monday, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said Tuesday, as officials investigated the cause of the explosion in the capital's western Dasht-e-Barchi area.
What happened in the Kabul school blast?
At least 42 children aged 9 to 14 were injured in the explosion at a private primary school in Kabul, according to UNAMA. The agency said it had not yet confirmed the circumstances, citing conflicting reports of an attack or unexploded ordnance.
Richard Bennett, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, earlier condemned what he called a “heinous attack” near a school in Dasht-e-Barchi, an area home to the historically persecuted Shia Hazara community.
Afghanistan's Directorate of Mine Action Coordination, which investigated the scene, said a grenade exploded at the school on Monday afternoon. The finding matched details earlier provided by Kabul police.
What did the UN say about the Kabul explosion?
“UNAMA have not yet confirmed the circumstances of the explosion,” a spokesman told AFP, citing “conflicting reports of either an attack or unexploded ordnance.”
UNAMA expressed concern for the injured children and their families and called for an investigation to determine what caused the incident.
“Our thoughts are with the children injured and their families,” the UN mission said. “We call for an investigation to establish the circumstances of this incident. Schools and education centers must be kept safe.”
The blast occurred as the children were being dismissed, according to a 38-year-old resident who lives nearby and spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity for security reasons.
“There were so many wounded people that I couldn't count them,” she said.
What is known about the school blast?
The private primary school posted a message on its Facebook page asking people to “pray for the injured,” but provided no further details about the explosion.
The blast comes as Afghanistan continues to face risks from explosive remnants of decades of conflict. The United Nations has said the country has the world's third-highest casualty rate from explosive remnants of war.
There have also been sporadic attacks in Kabul during the five years of Taliban rule, including an explosion at a central Chinese restaurant in January that killed at least seven people.
Has Dasht-e-Barchi faced attacks before?
Dasht-e-Barchi has previously been hit by several deadly blasts, including a 2021 car bombing outside a girls' school that killed at least 90 people and wounded hundreds more.
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for attacks in the area, targeting Shias whom the group considers heretics. The latest blast has renewed concerns over the safety of children and education centers in the neighborhood.





Comments
See what people are discussing