Iran blames US military presence for Gulf oil spills and claims trillions in damage
Iran's foreign ministry blamed US military operations for Gulf oil spills and claimed trillions in environmental damage after an oil slick reached Qeshm island

News Desk
The News Desk provides timely and factual coverage of national and international events, with an emphasis on accuracy and clarity.

Oil residue washed up on Iran’s Qeshm Island on Thursday after a crude tanker was struck by Tehran earlier this month.
Courtesy: AP Photo
Iran's foreign ministry on Monday blamed pollution in Gulf waters on US military operations in the region, following several oil spills including one that reached the island of Qeshm. Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei estimated the environmental damage at trillions of dollars and called for the United States to be held accountable.
What did Iran say about the Gulf oil spills and US military damage?
Baqaei said the environmental damage to the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman stemmed from US military presence and the wars Washington has waged in the region over the past five decades. He called the Qeshm incident "only one example" of decades of pollution and said the damage caused was not solely linked to the current war. Iran called for the United States to be held accountable for what it estimated as trillions of dollars in damage to Iran's coastal areas.
What caused the oil spill near Qeshm island?
Last week, Iran sought compensation after an oil slick in the Strait of Hormuz reached Qeshm island, affecting beaches and an environmentally sensitive mangrove forest. At the time, Baqaei cited preliminary evidence identifying a foreign bulk carrier as the source of the spill, which Iranian officials later said had been completely cleaned up. Iran subsequently said the Qeshm pollution was caused by foreign military action in the region.







Comments
See what people are discussing